Dressing With Jet Lag
Occasion: Client Appointment
Dress Code: Business Casual
Outdoor Temps: 60°F
Activity Level: Low
Wearing: Theory crinkle blazer (flea market), Ann Taylor pants (DIYed into culottes), Majestic cashmere tee shirt (flea market), Stuart Weitzman "Semi" boots (Nordstrom), vintage lucite leopard pendant (flea market)
It's so good to be home! For the holidays and my birthday, we recently flew to New Orleans to visit friends, then drove to Tampa to visit The In-Laws! It was such a fantastic time! But I missed my cats and my closet and my shampoo and my curling iron so much.
I also really missed my clients, who are busy planning their Christmas and New Year's outfits, so I pretty much hit the road and went straight back to work after we arrived back in California. This raised a few real-world issues for me, which I'm sure we can all relate to!
- Jet. Lag. I would wake up at 4am and struggle to fall asleep again.
- Lack of time to do my hair properly.
- Weather Lag...? Coming from Florida, I felt confused about our lower temperatures and what to wear.
- A full hamper. I'd yet to wash clothes after my trip, so some of my warm clothes from New Orleans weren't clean yet!
When life gets complicated, I like to keep it simple. Experience has shown that these are absolutely the worst times for me to try and get creative, so I wore a variation on an outfit I'd already worn recently, and I layered up in a black suit with gray accessories. Textural differences and statement jewelry kept things just interesting enough, yet the all-black look was easy enough to throw together quickly. And a suit always helps me feel a little more put together, even when it's a fun suit involving culottes and OTK boots. ;)
If the holiday season has you frazzled, try these strategies to save time and bandwidth:
- Re-wear a favorite outfit
- Duplicate a favorite outfit with similar pieces (like I did here)
- Limit your color scheme
- Stick to basics and let fun accessories add interest
I hope you've all been well and are having tons of FUN gearing up for the end of the year!