How to Prepare for a Swap Party
It's been a while since I blogged, but since I have an upcoming private Swap Party booked for Fall, I thought I would share my personal "prep steps" with all of you out there as well.
What is a Swap Party?
If you haven't encountered one before, a Swap Party is a gathering where the attendees have the opportunity to give away and/or take home gently used items.
Notice the emboldened "and/or" there! At my Swap Parties, I encourage people to come even if they don't have any items to throw into the pot - just being there to be a loving home for someone else's used-to-be-favorite-but-doesn't-quite-fit-anymore blouse can be enormously helpful. For real!
What Should You Bring?
Different hosts have different guidelines, but I feel that style is a whole-body experience. Bring anything that is still in good, clean, usable condition that relates to style! That way, you can participate even if you don't meet your body-double at the swap.
ALSO bring in anything you aren't sure about! The great thing about going to a swap party is that you have a room full of friends to help you decide if you should keep or toss it. And if you ever attend one of my swaps, we also go around the room and make sure everyone gets a professional opinion, too!
- Hair Care
- Nail Care
- Styling Tools (flat irons, hair dryers, etc.)
What Shouldn't You Bring?
Please avoid bringing stuff that is:
- Beyond Repair
- Greatly Off Topic (no toasters and bowling balls, please!)
- Too risque
How to Prepare:
- Clean out your closet! If you've been avoiding it, a swap is a great motivator. Here is a 5-minute video with detailed instructions, but the general steps are:
- Empty the closet.
- Return to the closet everything you LOVE & WEAR.
- Divide the rest into items you LOVE BUT DON'T WEAR and items you DON'T LOVE.
- After cleaning out your closet, repair or alter anything in these two piles until you can LOVE & WEAR them, then add them back to your closet.
- Whatever remains is a great candidate for a swap!
- Remember to keep any questionable items separate so that you can get ideas from the group about how to make them work for you.
Have you attended a Swap Party before? How did it go? Did you declutter or find something fun to take home?