Think Like a Designer (Not a Consumer)
The typical American woman is taught to build her look through browsing and grazing - we go out to a department store or mall, walk around for a few hours, and hope that we find something that catches our eyes and makes our heart pitter patter.
But this means we're basically waiting around to react to someone else's idea of how we should look.
Have you ever watched a style show or read a runway summary and found the collection described something like:
The Designer X girl is chic, sexy, and all about the jet-set life. Luxe fabrics like leather and cashmere form the core of her look, while global influences like tribal prints and exotic jewelry let everyone know where she's been - and that she's arrived!
If one of your goals for 2017 is to have a more unique, personalized, or signature style that truly reflects who YOU are, then you need to quit thinking like a consumer and start thinking like a designer.
If you were designing a fashion collection, who would your "girl" be?
Here's a short list of 10 questions you can ask yourself to help define your look and get the creative juices flowing:
- What kid of mood do I want to convey?
- What values are important to me this year?
- What about life excites me and makes me feel vibrant?
- What makes me different from my friends?
- What do I love... that other people might find strange?
- Fill in the blank with as may words as you like: "I am ____________________."
- Fill in the blank with as may words as you like: "I am NOT ____________________."
- What colors make me look and FEEL fabulous?
- Do people ever "get the wrong idea" about me?
- What types of people would I like to invite into my life this year?
I encourage everyone to get out those notebooks and start pondering!
Getting clear on what you love about yourself, who you are, and how you would like others to see you is the first step in designing your own unique look.
Have fun brainstorming, and we'll be back with the next step for achieving your ideal look later this week!